|MODEM||Linux Mint in VM||Linux Mint in Dell-D630|
|MOBITEK S80||MOBITEK S80 does not work (no response in CuteCom) in VM-Linux Mint||MOBITEK S80 can work in Linux Mint using USB. There are 4 COM ports created in Linux (ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, ttyUSB2, ttyUSB3), only “ttyUSB3” is used for the AT command.|
|MOBITEK Q24||MOBITEK Q24 is working (can send and read SMS) in VM-Linux Mint||MOBITEK Q24 also can work in Linux using “ttyUSB0”|
Objective: to use AT command to rename “Sierra Wireless” to “MOBITEK” so that all the 4 COM ports will display “MOBITEK”
Result: after using the “AT+WUSB” to change name to “MOBITEK”, the 4 COM ports in device manager still show as “Sierra Wireless” .
In addition, there is no AT command to remove the other 3 COM ports, “CNS”, ‘DM” & “NMEA”
Applies To: MOBITEK S80 Modem, MOBITEK Q24 Modem, Linux OS
Caused By: permission or privilege to use serial port or USB port is NOT assigned to current user.
Solution: grant permission to current user by adding “tty”, “dialout” into “Groups” of the current user.
- Optional — install “Cutecom” from Software Manager.
Click on “install”
- Go to “User and Groups”.
- Click on the current user and then click on “Groups”.
- Assign the following “Groups” or permissions to the user:-
- Alternatively, command line can be used to add permission to the user:-
- Restart Linux.
Problem: the USB Drivers for both FX30 and MOBITEK S80 cannot be installed in the same machine. Otherwise the below blue screen error will appear when trying to connect MOBITEK S80 3G Modem to the PC/machine.
Solutions: there are 3 solutions to choose:
- reboot Windows into “last known good configuration” (source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-my/help/4026863/windows-fix-error-0xc2-badpoolcaller);
- run system restore to restore Windows to the a date before FX30 USB driver was installed; or
- uninstall FX30 USB driver.
Download and view — MOBITEK S80 Modem Quick Installation Guide
- VirtualBox version: 6.1 ( v.6.1 cannot solve the problem — Upgrade VirtualBox from v. 5.1 to 6.1 to Solve USB driver of S80 may not work in VirtualBox)
- OS in virtual machine: Windows Server 2012 64-bit
This method mentioned in https://www.wintips.org/how-to-setup-usb-on-virtualbox-guest-oracle/ was used to test the USB driver of MOBITEK S80 3G Modem in the virtual machine (Windows Server 2012 64-bit)
After installing Extension Pack in VirtualBox, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 shown in the USB list
When virtual machine was started, the “Sierra Wireless” device was shown in the list:-
The COM PORT (COM6) appeared in “Device Manager”:-
However, in Hyper Terminal the “AT-OK” test could not be performed because it seems like the Hyper Terminal only catch the physical COM PORT of the MOBITEK S80, but the connection is not actually established with the modem. Nothing can be typed in Hyper Terminal to test the connection.
The same problem happens in Linux Mint running in VirtualBox
- VirtualBox version: 6.1
- OS in virtual machine: Linux Mint 17 ‘Qiana’ Cinnamon 64-bit
Mobitek S80 that attached to Linux Mint running in VirtualBox can be detected when running the “dmesg | grep tty” command in Linux Mint’s Terminal
But each interface from “ttyUSB0” until “ttyUSB4” which MobitekS80 is attached to cannot be tested with AT command in CuteCom. CuteCom will be frozen when the AT command was entered.
Solution: replace USB cable as it is faulty.
- Connect your laptop/desktop to UPS and MOBITEK S80 Modem to laptop/desktop. Open Winpower UPS software. Go to System menu -> Act as Administrator and enter the password. The default password is “Administrator“. This step is important in order to configure Winpower software setting.
To change the administrator password (optional), go to System menu -> Modify Administrator Password and enter the new password for administrator.
- Go to System menu -> Auto Search Device to search for UPS device automatically.
Wait for the UPS to be searched.
When found, the UPS device will be shown in the list. Double-click on it to see the UPS device status.
- Go to Tools menu -> SMS Setting to configure the SMS notification for UPS events.
- In SMS Setting, set the Com Port for MOBITEK S80 Modem, the Baud Rate to “115200“, and the Format of phone number to “Without National Code“. Enter the phone number for the notification to be sent, click Add button and select the phone number in the list. After that select the abnormal event in the event list that you want to be notified for. Click Test button to test the SMS sent successfully or not. If successful, click OK button.