Problem: partition(s) in external hard disk (using hard disk docking station) was lost due to hard disk failure, did not use “safely remove …” to remove hard disk, hard disk corruption, etc.
Solution: there are various recovery tools available
TestDisk is the free and fast while the rest comes with limitations. In this tutorial, TestDisk will be used. The only disadvantage with TestDisk — using command line instead of GUI.
First of all, to recover the lost partition, the same hard disk docking station must be used. I have moved the external hard disk to another docking station and all the above recovery tools cannot detect the lost partition.
- run “testdisk_win.exe“
- select “Create”
- select the hard disk having lost partition
- if hard disk is formatted using Windows, then select “Intel”
- select “Analyse”
- TestDisk will display a list of partitions in green letter, press “Enter” to continue”
- select “Write” to recover the lost partitions
- for more information refer to http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step#Quick_Search_for_partitions